Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Savvy Shopper

Let me start by saying I am not an expert, just a Mom trying to wisely use what the Lord has blessed her family with. Today I would like to share some of my “shopping secrets”. As a mom of 3 girls shopping for clothes can be fun and expensive so I always check the clearance racks first and look for sales. By planning ahead I shop for next summer/winter clothes at end of season when many stores have really big discounts and I can get brand new clothes for about the same price, sometimes less than what one might pay for used clothes at a rummage sale, which by the way is another way to save. Here are some of my favorite stores to shop for great deals: Old Navy, Gap, Kohls, Children’s Place and Gymboree.

My next “shopping secret” is coupons. I use coupons for anything and everything. Wednesday is double coupon day at Pick N Save where if you spend $25 dollars you can double 5 coupons up to $1 each which could be up to $10 savings. You can use more than 5 coupons but only 5 will be doubled. By taking time to look through sales flyers and my coupons I have gotten many food items free or almost free. Eating out can be expensive but it doesn’t have to be. I use coupons when ever possible and many restaurants have specific nights where kids eat free. I also use coupons when shopping for clothes which when I combine with sales/clearance I’m getting an even better deal.

Would you like to get free stuff? My third “shopping secret” is rebates. Stores like Walgreens, CVS and Menards, just to name a few, offer many items free after rebate. Here are just some of the things I have gotten free: toothpaste, toothbrushes, make-up, shampoo, conditioner, styling products, cleaning supplies, tools, soda, and the list goes on. I also use coupons with the rebates and then I am actually getting paid for the item. An example, Walgreens has shampoo on sale for $$3.99 and they offer a rebate of $3.99 making it free but I also have a $1 coupon, so basically I am getting paid $1 for the shampoo.

My final “shopping secret” is credit cards. Many credit cards offer cash back, miles for airline tickets, points to trade for gift cards to restaurants and retail stores. An example we used our credit card on every day purchases and earned four free season passes to Six Flags. This “shopping secret” may not be for everyone as you must show self control and not spend more than you have and pay balances off each month.

I have other little things I could share but it could possibly fill a book, so I just end by saying if you would like to know more about any of my “shopping secrets” feel free to ask. I would be happy to share and would love to hear your “shopping secrets”.


Leila

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are all great ideas. We actually just got a rewards credit card that offers 5% back on most purchases. Needless to say, all purchases (necessary ones!) are going on that credit card, and we'll be getting free money back in return. You're totally right about the self-control thing though, don't do it if you've had a hard time controlling yourself with a credit card before.
The only tip that I have is keeping my calculator with me when I shop (my cell phone has one). When I am buying stuff I don't always buy, or comparing prices, it comes in handy. I calculate the price per ounce, or per can, or whatever, and then compare.

Anonymous said...

Ok, you got me at restaurants...What restaurants have that around here?

Anonymous said...

I should clarify when I say kids eat free; you get a free kids meal with each adult meal purchased. Some will allow 2 kids meals for each adult meal. Applebee's and Chili's are two that I know have offered free kids meals on a specific night of the week. With the economy being what it is they may not do this anymore; but I was at IHOP yesterday for breakfast and they have a big sign saying, "kids eat free every day 4pm-10pm". On Tuesday's Fazoli's has kids meals for $0.99.