Thursday, November 20, 2008

Relationships –Pt 3

So what does it mean to show mercy in our relationships?

Again Ted Tripp and Tim Lane (from the book Relationships-- A Mess worth Making) make these main suggestions:

Mercy means you expect suffering in your relationships and are willing to endure it
Are you willing to be inconvenience and suffer for some else’s sake?

Mercy means you resist the temptation of favoritism
Truth is, we like whom we like and we stick to them. If we’re only comfortable showing hospitality to like minded people—we could show a little more mercy.

Mercy rejects a “personal happiness” agenda
As good trained Americans (living in America ) that we are, we are in the business of pursuing comfort, ease, relaxation, and happiness non stop. But are we willing to forgo those very things to bring comfort and ease to others?

Mercy means you overlook minor offences
Are you easily irritated by what other people say or do? We all have these annoyances that while we can be oblivious to them, we can be quite disturbed if others show their not so pretty side. Can you get over it?

Mercy means you live with a commitment to forgive
We will sin against others and inevitably they will sin against us. Offer what God offers you everyday.

Mercy does not compromise what is morally right and true
Here we don’t leave and turn our back from the sinner, or ignore the sin committed. We rather point them to God’s Law, God’s principles and persevere along side of them.

As I was writing this blog, I couldn’t but think about the many instances where Jaz, Betsy, and Nichole, have shown me mercy as we related to one another in this blog. Nichole stands out in my mind. When we first started this blog I new Nichole the least, but in time she got to know me close and personal as she faithfully editing my blogs and made me look like I knew where commas and periods belonged. Her tireless efforts to be flexible (especially with me…) were humbling and admirable. Her efforts, not mine, are what make her relationship to me a precious one. And today is her b-day--so happy birthday girl!!

I’ll end this with a quick announcement…

Today is my last day posting here at True Women. And though my relationship with these very especial friends of mine does not depend on this blog, I sure will miss interacting with them on a weekly basis. I don’t know if I’ll be back, but I’m sure if I ask nicely they’ll let me visit from time to time...They delight in serving our Lord via this blog. They don’t take their job lightly and mind you no one is asking or expecting them to—they just do it for the Lord. But now it’s my turn to become their most faithful reader and biggest fan and so I will!

No comments: